The Green Tree is results driven. We strive to give you a desired outcome, whether it be a knot in your back, clearing inflammation, or providing good old fashioned relaxation. Stress is detrimental to all aspects of life. It can seem like "fluff," but the chemicals released in the body due to stress actually lead to a lot of the problems we see everyday. The following list can help to further the results you receive from a visit with us.
1. Take a deep breath. Worrying about the future can keep you from living in the present moment. Making a conscious effort to focus on breathing connects the mind and body. Find a quiet, relaxing part of your house and sit with your back straight. Take some time for you to gather your thoughts, then allow them to melt away with every breath.
2. Use aromatherapy to promote healing. Our sense of smell is the greatest link to memory. Some aromas are energizing, while others soothe and relax. Lavender, chamomile, geranium, jasmine, and ylang ylang are relaxing scents. Put a few drops in a bubble bath for a calming effect. Essential oils can also be mixed with pure distilled water, placed in a spritzing bottle, and sprayed on your bed.
3. Take a bath. Warm water helps to soothe muscles. Our personal favorite bath bombs are hand made with shea butter and sea salt for incredibly soft, smooth skin. Light candles for ultimate relaxation.
4. Try different lotions and potions for muscle soreness. Apply lotion liberally, slowly pressing on the muscles. Ask your massage therapist for specific movements you can do at home for your personal needs. Biofreeze products are classified as topical analgesics, which work through a ‘counter irritant’ mechanism. The menthol in Biofreeze creates a sensation that overrides pain signals to the brain. This process blocks the nerves containing pain signals to the brain
5. Enjoy quality time with loved ones. Playing with your kids, husband, or puppy takes stress off impending responsibilities. Before going into veg mode or work mode when you get home, take a moment to appreciate time with loved ones. Laughter relaxes the entire body with effects lasting up to 45 minutes. It increases immune cells and decreases stress hormones. Take a break and have fun.
6. Stop depriving yourself of necessary vitamins! Did you know red bell peppers actually have more Vitamin C than an orange? Next time you are at the grocery store or neighborhood market, pick up fresh fruits and vegetables. When you're craving a snack, eat something delicious and nutritious. The energy you will get from eating well can be devoted to the things you really love.
7. Try something new. We expect ourselves to be perfect in our craft. Pressure at work can be combated by trying something without premium expectations. Make a new recipe, dabble at art, or attempt a fishtail braid a la Pinterest.
8. Watch a movie. Pick something at random on Netflix or a local RedBox. Allow your mind to focus on something other than stress. Release tension with a comedy or challenge yourself with a mystery!
9. Work on your gardening skills. We try to use natural ingredients as often as possible at the spa. The effects of the ingredients are significantly heightened when products are fresh. Create your own little garden (or window box) full of fresh herbs. Use them in cooking or for a tincture.
10. Drink tea. Tea causes relaxation by reducing cortisol levels. A warm mug of White Lion tea, a good book, and comfy pajamas is a sure-fire way to a stress free night.
Brought to you by our massage therapist, Kristina